Fantastic fightback by Alty youngsters falls just short

National Youth League U19

Liverpool FEFA 3-2 Altrincham FC

Match Report by Alty player Remi Raymond

The outstanding facilities of Melwood Training Centre staged Altrincham Academy’s most recent clash, as they were hosted by Liverpool FEFA.

The young Robins were keen to produce a performance to match the standard of the pitch they were playing on, but they started the game sluggishly and conceded an early goal.

It came from a Liverpool FEFA corner which was crossed into Altrincham’s box. After showing great desire, a Liverpool FEFA player met the ball, placing an impressive bullet header into the bottom left corner.

With Alty struggling to get a foothold in the game, they were punished by the hosts again, as they quickly added a second goal. Some poor defending combined with a lovely volley from the Liverpool FEFA player saw the home side double their lead.

After their poor start, Alty began growing into the game. Their first major chance of the game came through Kyran Webster, who went on a fantastic run through the opposition defence, but he was denied by a great save from the keeper.

Despite this brief switch in momentum, another well-worked set piece from the home side caught out the young Robins. This left Altrincham with a lot of work to do as they attempted to overcome a 3-0 deficit.

The young Robins were not deterred and persevered to trigger a comeback. Great work on the right side from William Knowles and a fantastic pass from Kyran Webster put Nathan Wood in a great position.

Wood played an outstanding cross towards Vladislav Shtyhlan, who slotted the ball in the bottom right corner to ignite the young Robins right on half time.

Inspired by their late goal, Altrincham began the second 45 minutes much better than they did the first.

The momentum of the game was firmly in Alty’s favour, and the young Robins were dominating, creating several chances down the left-hand side.

After a good team passage of play, Ajani Oshodin set the ball to Remi Raymond on the edge of the 18-yard box, and he rifled the ball towards goal. His effort took a deflection, sending the ball flying into the back of Liverpool FEFA’s net, reducing the lead to only one goal.

Many opportunities were created after the early second half goal, but the young Robins could not finish their chances. Ajani Oshodin was unlucky to miss from a set piece, and Vladislav Shtyhlian came the closest with a fractional miss.

Liverpool FEFA took the chance to counter-attack whenever they could, but an outstanding performance from the back four in the second half prevented them from extending their lead, with Harrison Jarvis-McCarthy having a stand-out performance.

Despite the fantastic reaction to Liverpool FEFA’s electric start, Altrincham could not complete the comeback and the game ended 3-2 to the hosts.

Squad on the day

Tyler Heyes

W Knowles

Jacob Hill

Oscar Cooper

Alfie Curwen

Ethan Cosgrove

Kyran Webster

Ollie Dixon

Vlad Shtlygan

Nathan Wood

Kian Gonzalez

Caden Gibson

R Knowles

Ajani Oshodin

Harrison McCarthy

Remi Raymond

AFC Fleece Scarf

Altrincham FC

AFC Fleece Scarf

£20.00 GBP