Alty chalk up another impressive three points

Words Alex Birch | Pictures Jonathan Moore

ALTY cruised to another three points on home soil with a dominant display against Eastleigh in front of another 2,000+ crowd at the J.Davidson Stadium.

After a tense opening Alty started to exert a certain dominance on proceedings, working openings for both Justin Amaluzor and Regan Linney.

Amaluzor tested the concentration of Joe McDonnell in the away goal, before Linney skimmed a low effort into the side-netting off a well worked corner.

Chris Conn-Clarke was then in on the action - his twinkle toes first opening up a half-chance for Linney which McDonnell held. Then, pouncing on a mistake only to see his close range effort blocked.

The opportunities continued. Alex Newby combined brilliantly with Amaluzor down the left channel, with the latter's effort just wide of the far post.

Then, just after the half hour, the pressure told. Linney broke through the Eastleigh defensive line down the left, beat the onrushing McDonnell to the ball and crossed for Lewis Banks to tap home into an empty net.

The second arrived in stoppage time at the end of the first half; this time it was Linney finding the net from outside the box for his fifth of the season, giving the Robins a vital, and fully deserved, two-goal cushion.

Conn-Clarke and Newby both tested McDonnell again before the break, as the hosts threatened to run riot in front of goal against their fellow playoff hopefuls.

Within seconds of the restart Conn-Clarke's attempted lob of McDonnell from kick-off was tipped over, followed by an Amaluzor effort from 10 yards that flew wide. 

Unsurprisingly, a third followed within five minutes. Conn-Clarke outrageous turn and run created space for a shot. McDonnell saved, but only well enough to allow Newby to gleefully score from the rebound.

Alty continued to probe away in search of a fourth. Conn-Clarke going closest with a wicked free kick which spun just wide of the post.

Eastleigh tried to attack with purpose, looking for any route back into the game, but Matt Gould, deputising for Ethan Ross remained untested aside from a Paul McCallum effort in the final 10 minutes. 

The icing on the cake finally arrived on 87 minutes; man-of-the-match Linney playing the ball through for Conn-Clarke to dink past McDonnell. The final act of another hugely impressive display from Phil Parkinson's side.

Harvey Nichols Man Of The Match | Regan Linney

Altrincham Gould; Banks, E.Jones, Baines, Osborne, Marriott (c), Linney, Conn-Clarke, Amaluzor (Wilson, 90'+3), Cooper, Newby. Subs not used: Kosylo, Angus, Roscoe, Mooney.

Eastleigh McDonnell; Clampin (Nwabuokei, 10'), Atangana, Taylor (c) (Dotse, 67'), McCallum, Boldewijn, Langston, Hodson, Croll (Martin, 46'), Maguire, Rutherford. Subs not used: Barlow, Scott.

HT 2-0

Goals Banks 31' (Linney), Linney 45+2, Newby 51' (Conn-Clarke), Conn-Clarke 87' (Linney) | None

Yellows None | Langston 57', Martin (80')

Reds None | None

Referee John Mulligan

Assistants Ryan Aldred & Zharir Mustafa

Fourth official Melissa Burgin

Attendance 2,166 (81 away fans)

Next Up

It's Cheshire Senior Cup quarter final time on Tuesday - we're heading for Hyde United (7:45pm).

Admission is at the turnstiles - £10 Adults & £5 Concessions/Juniors.

AFC Fleece Scarf

Altrincham FC

AFC Fleece Scarf

£20.00 GBP