Major boost for Alty as Chris Conn-Clarke joins until the New Year
Report by John Edwards
Altrincham are delighted to welcome Chris Conn-Clarke back to The J.Davidson Stadium after the Fleetwood attacker agreed a second loan spell with the Robins and joined his new team-mates at their Egerton training ground this morning.
Chris will be with us until early January, and the news could hardly have been better timed after the club confirmed yesterday that Matty Kosylo underwent successful knee surgery at the start of the week and faces a lengthy lay-off.
Like Matty, Chris is a versatile attacking midfielder who relishes running at defenders and is adept at filling the number 10 role.
Though his initial loan was curtailed by injury in only his second appearance, he made such an impact on his debut against Woking, winning an early penalty and constantly turning close-markers, that Alty have closely monitored his return to action in recent weeks.
When there was a suggestion Fleetwood might sanction another loan, Alty wasted no time making a move, in the wake of Matty’s unfortunate injury, and manager Phil Parkinson was delighted to put him through his paces with the rest of the squad at Egerton this morning.
Speaking to Alty TV in an interview that will be broadcast later, the 20-year old set his sights on making his mark in Alty colours once more, starting against Stockport County at The J.Davidson Stadium on Saturday, and said:
‘It’s great to be back with Alty, and I feel I have unfinished business after my last spell here was cut short like that. I’m raring to go, and if I get on the pitch against Stockport, I’ll be desperate to show what I can do.
‘I’ve met all the lads just now - some familiar from last time, some new faces - and I can’t wait to get stuck in. I know it’s an exciting new era for the club, going full-time, and I can assure everyone my focus is totally on trying to help Alty have a successful season.’
After spells with Linfield and Glentoran in his native Northern Ireland, the Belfast youngster joined Fleetwood from Burnley in February last year and made his senior debut for them in September.
He is highly-regarded at the League One club, so much so that when he signed a new contract that runs until the end of this coming season, with an option for a further 12 months, Development Squad Head Coach Stephen Crainey said:
‘Chris is an unbelievable talent on the ball. He is a final third player who makes things happen and who can both assist and score goals.
‘These players are hard to come by, and hopefully he can continue to set himself high standards to give himself the best chance to threaten the first team.’
Great to have you back, Chris, and everyone at the club would like to wish you a happy and successful time in Alty colours.
*Look out for an Alty TV interview with Chris, here on the club's website later today.