Newby nets again as Robins stand tall against Shrimpers!

Southend United 2 (Bridge 27, Wreh 42) Altrincham 2 (Colclough 34, Newby 59)

Attendance: 5,593 (48 away)

Report by Joe Ward

Altrincham came away from Roots Hall with a massively deserved point following goals from the previous week's scorers, Ryan Colclough and Elliot Newby, in an enthralling 2-2 draw against high-flyers Southend United.

Danger man Colclough got Alty back on level terms in the 34th minute after the hosts opened the scoring just seven minutes earlier. The winger fired home into an empty net after Newby’s shot crashed off the underside of the bar.

Newby then continued his terrific return to the Robins with his fourth goal in as many games following a disastrous mix-up between Southend United’s centre-back, Kacper Łopata, and goalkeeper Nna Noukeu.

The clash of bodies presented the loanee with the easiest goal he’s ever
likely to score as he rolled the ball into an open goal, levelling things up on the hour mark.

For the 48 incredibly loyal Altrincham fans who travelled to the Essex coast for the early kick-off, it made for a jubilant journey home to the North West, as they reflected on an impressive point on the road.

However, many will doubtless have concluded it could, and arguably should, have been all three points, after the way the Robins put on a dominant second half show.

Altrincham had their first real chance when Newby surged through Southend’s defence before playing in Connor Jennings. Unfortunately, the forward was unable to beat Nna Noukeu who kept the ball out to deny Alty the first goal.

The Shrimpers soon opened the scoring in the 27th minute when Jack Bridge calmly slotted the ball into the bottom right-hand corner, despite having his initial effort blocked.

However, the Robins refused to sit back and soon found an equalising goal when Colclough volleyed the ball into an open net from close range. That’s now two goals in two games for a player whose impact never seems to lessen.

Southend soon restored their lead minutes before half-time when Chris Wreh reacted to a brilliant save from Ollie Bryne, turning the ball home for the fourth time this season to give the Blues the lead heading into the break.

Bryne was soon called into action again as Wreh looked to double his tally just after the break. His ambitious long-range effort was an easy save for Bryne in the end, however.

Newby then drew the Robins level in the 59th minute, sending the travelling fans behind the goal into a frenzy. It wasn’t long before Alty thought they might grab all three points as Chris Conn-Clarke clipped the ball into the back post, allowing Jennings a header from two yards out. His effort smashed the post,
but the linesman’s flag was already raised.

Neither side could find a winner in the end, and both managers had cause for satisfaction.

Blues gaffer, Kevin Maher, will be happy to see their two-game losing run ended, despite falling to fifth place in the table, and Alty boss Phil Parkinson has to be content with the way his side stood up to a team with promotion ambitions.

AFC Fleece Scarf

Altrincham FC

AFC Fleece Scarf

£20.00 GBP